Found via Buzz Canuck, some great nuggets regarding building community!
- Community green thumb – a community has to be grown wild and organically or it will fail. Control comes with time and growth.
- Bearing fruit – the success of a community and its size may vary. The effort may not give expected results but the work still pays off in knowledge and experience.
- Letting go – community members will change and accept different roles and participate in different manners. Being user friendly and being willing to allow change to happen is most important.
- Leaders and Lurkers – leadership can come from the most unlikely place. Always be ready to give responsibilty, respect and credit to all. Even a lurker can rise to a leadership role if the environment is right. Badges are needed and wanted. Offering them will get you volunteers and make leaders of those.
- Involvement is investment – being constanlty vigil and involved is a key investment in building a group or groups. Groups and clusters formed during regular visits to get new information are the key to a community.
- Reality is the best reason – Groups and networks based on real life meets and events are the best and easiest to work with.
- 6 Parameters & Reasons for Community Associations to Form.